September 2021 is proving movie variety really is the spice of life with these great releases
And now fellow film nerds, for those all important references:
- Getting to know Simu Liu – check out his impromptu Shang-Chi twitter Q&A, the dude has comebacks:
- Or get a feel for the excellent Kim’s Convenience (streaming in the UK on Netflix)
- That great Awkwafina film? The Farewell is about a Chinese American woman travelling to China to visit her terminally ill grandmother. It’s a funny and moving film about secret keeping and cultural and generational differences. Here’s a powerful clip. Girls got skills.
- Why do I hate Bohemian Rhapsody? Terrible editing is one part of it! This viral video from Thomas Flight does a great explanation.
- What am I talking about with Cary Fukanaga’s big one shots? This is a fantastic example from his series of True Detective – bear in mind this is all one long continuous, carefully choreographed camera shot with no cuts. It’s pretty cool:
- Want to know more about Wildfire? You can view my BFI London Film Festival interview with director Cathy Brady or check out my five star review here
- Looking for something wholesome? I also gave Herself a glowing five stars. Details right here
- And want the skinny on feelgood summer flick Sweetheart? Fear not, I reviewed that too! Get the scoop from BFI Flare
Well film fans I think that about covers it – but please hit us up in the comments or across any of our socials if you have any questions (or want to tell me I’m wrong about Bohemian Rhapsody!)